Southern Tastes Panel: Cold Treats
May 29, 2013
Cooper Street 20/20
Southern Tastes Panel: Cold Treats
May 29, 2013
Grizzlies fans don't bluff. We stuff. Our faces.
This is a sample of some of the Grizz Grub we scarf down at our favorite restaurants:
* GRIT-AND-GRIND SLIDERS, Bluff City Coffee/Bakery, 505 S. Main St., Downtown Memphis, 901- 405-4399. "It's a blueberry and white chocolate-chip cookie with a lemon-curd cake frosting in the middle," said Chef Jason Doty.
* GRIZZLY DONUTS, Gibson's Donuts, 760 Mt. Moriah Rd., White Station Area/East Memphis, 901-682-8200. Oversized (Grizzly-sized!) donuts decorated in Memphis Grizzlies colors, some with "Grizzly Sprinkles" (Beale St. Blue) and some decorated with "We Don't Bluff!" and "All In!"
* GRINDHOUSE PIE; Lavaro's Pizza, Pasta & Panini, 5849 Summer Ave., East Memphis, 901-377-2141. "We were talking about how the FedExForum is called the Grindhouse," said partner Tom Abrams, "and we came up with a pizza with every ground topping we could think of, everything that we would normally grind: sausage, salami, our bolognese - which is a ground beef sauce -- ground Parmesan, ground garlic and ground red and green cherry peppers."
* GRIT-N-GRIND SALAD, Katie's Kitchen, 9056 Poplar Pike, Germantown, TN, 901-754-8444. Romaine lettuce with yellow bell peppers, fresh blueberries, celery, sugared almonds and a homemade paprika vinaigrette dressing.
* GRIZ SHOT, South of Beale, 361 S. Main St., South Main Historic District, Downtown Memphis, 901-526-0388. Blueberry vodka, blue curacao, simple syrup.
Video available at
Jason Doty loves Memphis and loves baking. Bluff City Bakery is one of Memphis’ best kept secrets, with their bread and desserts in about 80% of local Memphis restaurants. He’s been called a mad scientist, and he wears the name well, always experimenting with new baked creations, like his latest Grizzlies cookie sliders. He’s passionate about baking the healthiest possible breads and desserts and getting them onto the plates of as many Memphians as possible.
You can taste his work all over town, but be on the lookout for a few new Bluff City storefronts by the end of the year where you can pick up his creations directly.
Jason is a prolific tweeter, so catch up with him @CraveMemphis.
Downtown Memphis is buzzing for two reasons Friday: the annual Beale Street Music Festival and the pivotal Game 6 NBA playoff game with the Grizzlies and Clippers next door.
The Grizzlies, leading 3 games to 2 in the best of 7 opening round playoff series against the Los Angeles Clippers, have a chance to get rid of some playoff demons. The Grizz have the chance to close out the series and eliminate the Clippers from the playoff race.
The anticipation for Friday evening's Game 6 at the FedExForum has been building ever since the Grizzlies won Game 5 103-93 in Los Angeles Tuesday evening.
Whether your at work, school, or out for a bite to eat, Grizz fever has been building since the team won Game 5.
Students at Woodland Presbyterian School were just a little bit excited Friday as they got to ditch the uniform for Grizz gear.
Here's to hoping many of the parents will make an exception and push back an early Friday night bed time so the students can watch Game 6.
Though it might be a bull market on Wall Street, at financial firm Duncan Williams it was clearly a bear market. Several employees added Grizz wear while they were on the trading floor.
"We just love the Grizzlies," said Ragan Washburn, Duncan Williams Community Outreach. "Duncan, our CEO, is part owner. We all love them and want to see them do well."
The Grizz gear at work started two years ago when the eighth-seeded Grizzlies made it to the second round of the playoffs. But it has become a Duncan Williams superstition.
But now it's also a fundraiser. Employees had to pay $5 to dress down and the money goes to the Make-a-Wish Foundation.
"You can't wear jeans on the trading floor, so this is a new thing for them," Washburn said. "So they get excited when they're able to do that."
Grizz fever even spread to eateries all over the city. At Bluff City Coffee, the hot item Friday was a Grizzlies cookie slider - blueberry cookies sandwich with lemon filling. At Gibson's Donuts, they couldn't make their Grit Grind-flavored donuts fast enough.
"We made 19 of these today and we had two customers fighting over the last one," said Britton DeWeese, Gibson's Donuts employee. "Literally out here arguing in line over who would get the last one. So, I had my cook make me 10 more."
Read more: http://www.myfoxmemphis.com/story/22158849/grizzlies-fever-epidemic-throughout-memphis#ixzz2UAwgE237
by Lauren Lee
"Share Your Good News"